February 8, 2008

R. A. Lafferty

R. A. Lafferty, Nine Hundred Grandmothers, Ace

Compare these covers by Leo & Diane Dillon to this hilarious book cover from 1988. Notice a difference? (Not to say that I didn't just instantly buy East of Laughter.)

Last week on the New York Times Paper Cuts blog, the comedian Bill Hader gave his book picks. He touts Nine Hundred Grandmothers, a story collection by R. A. Lafferty (1914 - 2002). In the comments section, "naomi" mentions the artwork for Lafferty's Fourth Mansions in the Ace Science Fiction Special series. I realized I had these books and also Past Master, and all in that particular series, so I'm providing scans here. So far I've only read Past Master, a novel from 1968 and surely the only sci-fi book with Thomas More as the main character. I think with just that info you know whether or not you want to read it.




Nine Hundred Grandmothers



No comments:

Post a Comment